[SI-LIST] Re: Mixed signal: partitioning GND or unique plane ?

  • From: "Javier DeLaCruz" <jdelacruz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tkrzesaj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:59:05 -0400

Thomas,
        The simple answer to your question is that digital sections of your =
device will generate noise which is easily transferred through the =
ground planes (ground bounce.)  Analog sections of you device generally =
require a quiet ground.  This assumes that you have simultaneously =
switching digital buses, which generate noise.  Therefore, in order to =
keep much of the digital noise from affecting the analog section, the =
ground planes should be separated.  If you run a web search on keywords =
"ground bounce," a bunch of articles describing phenomenon this will be =
listed. =20
        There are other many other occasions where ground plane splitting would
=
be desired.  One example of these are in neighboring digital sections of =
the device that have different power supply voltages.  A bus that swings =
0 to 5V will generate more noise on ground, than one that only switches =
from 0 to 1.8V.  Additionally the lower voltage bus will have a lower =
threshold for noise and would be adversely affected by the noise from =
the 5V bus.
        Depending upon your application, it may be a good idea to keep IO =
ground and core ground separated as well.
        The faster the rise time or fall time, the more noise will be =
transferred to the plane(s.)  Buses with fast edge rates should be =
isolated from the more sensitive signals/buses.
        Be careful not to over-split your planes, and consequently raise the =
inductance of the ground.  This will limit the ground plane's ability to =
dissipate the noise.  Another rule-of-thumb for keeping the ground quiet =
is to add redundant ground vias, balls, etc., especially neighboring the =
signal/bus path.  These same rules can be applied to power planes as =
well. =20
        There are software tools available which can simulate this.  Let me =
know if you need recommendations, which I can send separately.
        Regarding your comment on return paths, it is important to not split =
your planes in such a manner that your transmission lines cross from one =
ground or power plane to another.  Use plane splits which similar to =
pizza slices, with a core slice in the center.  This topic has been =
coved several times in the SI-list and I recommend reviewing the earlier =
messages.  Chapter 5, in Dr. Johnson's "High Speed Digital Design" =
covers this topic very well, too, it you have it handy.

Thanks,
Javier =20