[SI-LIST] Re: Minimum eye opening of 8b10b encoded signals

  • From: "Charles Hill" <chuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tkjeon@xxxxxxxx>, <dave.instone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:49:25 -0700

Hi TK, Dave, Michael, et al,

A good discussion.  I have a few comments:

1) SATA II is intended to replace SATA 1.0a.  A lot was learned in the
process of developing the new SATA II spec.  There was a concern that simply
changing the 1.0a spec would create problems (render components
non-compliant) where no real problem (BER was OK) existed.  So, the 1.0a
requirements for 1i/1m were copied into SATA II.

2) Eye diagrams are not part of 1.0a nor SATA II.  With an objective of
ensuring a link performance of BER<1E-12 (actually frame error rate since it
is measurable in the protocol) there are 3 major problems with eye diagrams:
a) too small of a sample size to be statistically significant to prove with
95% confidence BER<1e-12 b) eye display subject to undersampling effects and
missing timing information c) eye mask tests are deterministic leading to
problems when a single sample falls outside the allowable mask.  These
concerns bear on compliance tests; eye diagrams are useful quick tests to
show a system is unacceptable (its easy to show a problem, difficult to show
performance).

3) The timing reference point is defined by the "reference clock".  Thus, if
one wanted to construct a statistical "eye mask", the center of the mask is
already defined.

4) Chris is right, most receivers do operate below the minimum receive level
in SATA.  Some receivers may exceed the spec requirements.  However, relying
on 150mV receiver sensistivity, for example, for the link to work is relying
on an unspecified parameter and interchangability is not ensured.

5) There is no SATA II specification for the signal coming out of an
interconnect into a matched load (Lab Load).  This is due to the impedance
mismatch uncertainty of the receiver as well as no knowledge of the
interconnect inside the receiver.  The specification is concerned with
measurable quantities at the compliance points.  The mismatch of the
receiver and its effect on minimum amplitude and jitter is part of the
design burden of the receiver designer; he knows the mismatch loss and
attenuation loss characteristics inside the receiver, that is, inside the
box the spec defines as the receiver made up of chip, package, PCB traces,
SATA connector etc.

The SATA II spec isn't perfect, but is an improvement over 1.0a.  We
certainly know of some deficiencies.  We welcome inputs to improve the spec.

Regards,
Chuck Hill, consultant
SATAIO Phy committee chairman