[SI-LIST] Mil or Mils?

  • From: "Chris Padilla \(cpad\)" <cpad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 11:35:21 -0700

Off-topic to the "matching within 1 mil" stuff, I think I see a lot of
misuse of the unit "mil" when it is written down.

As I understand it, the unit is abbreviated: mil

So when writing it down, it should be like: "..we match within 100 mil
but the CAD guys says 10 mil is just fine..."

When you read it, you will say it with an 's' on the end but if it is
used as a unit, it shouldn't be made plural.

After all, we don't write five millimeters as "5 mms".  We write "5 mm"
and say it in our heads or outloud as: "Five millimeters".

Ah, okay, I said my piece...so peace! ;o)

Chris Padilla
Cisco Systems
San Jose, CA

List technical documents are available at: