[SI-LIST] Re: Microstrip vs. Stripline

  • From: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:37:51 -0700

Hi All,
I am thankful to all who responded to my query.  As I indicated in my
earlier response, I do not have any issue at 6 Gbps.  I used 35 ps TDR
rise time for my measurements, and was concerned with the impedance
discontinuities with their possible impact on the future designs.

As I understand from the responses,  there is no choice winner between
Microstrip and Stripline, and I need to get a better understanding of the
root cause of impedance discontinuity.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Ravinder Ajmani
Server PCB Development
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies

Email: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
09/20/2010 07:11 AM

"o. laney" <olaney@xxxxxxxx>, "Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
"si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
[SI-LIST] Re: Microstrip vs. Stripline

I agree - the impacts of localized impedance variations due to plating
and/or soldermask should be negligible for the risetimes that come out of
most packages.  And, in the last 5 years, most board vendors have made
tremendous progress in controlling those.  If you're seeing large
variations, consider another vendor.

As for the weave effect, simply putting 10 degree zig-zags in your routing
can mitigate that effect; see our DesignCon paper "Fiber Weave Effect:
Practical Impact Analysis and Mitigation Strategies".  As Wolfgang pointed
out, stripline is prone to the same problem, so that's not an attractive
option.

I'm greatly relieved to find that your 2.5" link wasn't broken at 6Gbps -
that had me wondering! :-)

Jeff Loyer