[SI-LIST] Re: Microstrip Loss Correlation

  • From: "Mark Burford" <Mark_Burford@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Christopher.Crowley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:31:43 +0100

 =0A= =0A= =0A= =0A= =0A= =0A= [SI-LIST] Microstrip Loss Correlation
=0A= =0A= =0A= =0A= Is this loss = a continuing =0A= attenuation i.e. does
loss increase past 2.4GHz or are you experiencing = a =0A= 'notch' type
attenuation at the frequency you stated where past 2.4GHz = less loss =0A=
isseen?=0A= You are right in saying that = the superior =0A= quality
materialshould give less attenuation at this frequency but then = it all
=0A=depends on rise time of you signal, trace width (a wider trace will =
increase =0A= dielectric loss per length), around this frequency dielectric
losses = should be =0A= dominating skin depth (conductor) losses so perhaps
reducing the line = width if =0A= poss may reduce your attenuation.
Obvioulsyreducing trace length would = help =0A= too.=0A=  =0A= How wide is
the ground plane = under the =0A= trace? Is it at least 2.5 - 3 times the
trace width where you have cut = it away =0A= (not sure exactly what you
havedone so couldn;t comment further) = because this =0A= would affect the
return current if the return plane was not continuous = at about =0A= 3
timesthe trace width. Also this would cause reflections and affect = your
=0A= measurement.=0A=  =0A= I hope these simple questions = and reminders
=0A= are of use to you.=0A=  =0A= Regards=0A= Mark=0A=  =0A= =0A= -- =0A=
Mark R Burford M.Eng = M.I.E.E.
EngD =0A= Research Engineer
School of Electronics and Computer = Science
University =0A= of Southampton=0A=
=0A=
=0A= From: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx = on behalf of =0A=
Christopher.Crowley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri 21.10.2005 =0A= 16:53
To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [SI-LIST] =0A= Microstrip Loss Correlation

=0A= =0A=

Hello All,
I am working on measuring the bandwidth = of a =0A= couple fixtures and am
surprised
by the results.  I am hoping = that =0A= someone may be able to help shed
some
light on
the subject.  = I have =0A= two fixtures that are identical other than the
materials.  One =0A= board
is made of Isola's FR406 and the other is Arlon 25N.  The = only =0A= minor
difference is
that the stackup may have been changed = slightly to =0A= accommodate for 50
ohm's on
12 mil trace widths.  Four layer = board, =0A= 2.8" total length traces,
routed
only on the
top layer =0A= microstrip.

I have used edge launch sma's to interconnect to the = network =0A=
analyzer.
Johnson
Components 142-0701-801 PN.  The issue is = that when =0A= making an S21
measurement
across the 2.8" trace I see both boards = have a =0A= 3db loss at
approximately
2.4GHz.
Since I would obviously expect = the Arlon =0A= 25N board to perform much
further
out in
frequency one thing I am = suspect =0A= of is the sma interconnect.  I know
that
the sma
footprint = should be =0A= optimized and we have tried to do that by cutting
away
some
GND = under the =0A= signal conductor of the sma.  It seems like it is still
causing = an =0A= issue
though.  Does anyone have any footprint or other =0A= recommendations?

Thank =0A= you,
Chris

or to administer your membership from a web = page, go =0A= to:
http://www.freelists.or= g/webpage/si-list[1]

For =0A= help:
si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the Subject =0A= field

List FAQ wiki page is located =0A= at:
           =      =0A= http://si-list.org/w= iki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ[2]

List =0A= technical documents are available =0A= at:
           =      =0A= http://www.si-list.org[3]

List = archives =0A= are viewable =0A= at:
       = =0A=         http://www.freelists.o= rg/archives/si-list[4]
or =0A= at our remote archives:
        =0A=         http://groups.yah= oo.com/group/si-list/messages[5]
Old =0A= (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable =0A= at:
        =0A=         http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu[6]
&nbsp= ;

=0A= =0A= =0A=

--- Links ---