[SI-LIST] Re: Measuring propagation delay on PWB interconnects

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff W" <jeff.w.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'brian.butler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <brian.butler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,si_list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:47:03 -0700

I believe that, for true accuracy, propagation delay measurements should be
relative vs. absolute measurements.  I.E., measure the delay of a 5" trace
and compare that to the delay of a 4" trace.  The difference is your delay
per inch.  This eliminates any ambiguity related to choices of start and end
points, which are arbitrary.

If you don't have traces of different lengths on the same board, I believe
it's perfectly acceptable to measure a trace, cut the trace 1" shorter, and
measure that same trace.

Jeff Loyer