[SI-LIST] Re: Measuring common mode return loss

  • From: Peter.Pupalaikis@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Juan G Fuentes" <jgfnolasco@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 21:11:01 -0500

Hi Juan:

Your problem is that your probe probably does not have a ground connection
(I.e. Two tips that touch down only).  It works for differential because
theoretically no current flows in the ground if you can drive it differentially
and it comes out right even when driven single-ended and the conversions are
done.  For common-mode signals, current wants to flow in the ground and the
probes look like an abrupt open circuit for common-mode.

In summary, to perform common mode measurements, you need a different probing
arrangement.

Pete

From Pete Pupalaikis's Blackberry