[SI-LIST] Measuring an IC PDN

  • From: "Moreira, Jose-Antonio" <jose.moreira@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:39:15 +0000

Hi,

I have a small discussion topic.

Assuming I have:

-> model and measurements of a package PDN (flip-chip package that includes
some capacitors).
-> no model of the IC die PDN and no way to do measurements on a bare die.

Objective would be to get an idea on the IC die PDN and check if I have some
resonances happening between the package and the die .

The only option I see is to do a S11 measurement of the one VDD/GND pin pair
(e.g. with a coaxial probe) at the package setting on the VNA measurement
signal a DC offset equivalent to the VDD that the IC expects and then somehow
de-embed the package PDN.

Given all the problems of using S11 for a PDN measurement I assume the results
will be bad but would I be able to get an idea of any resonances between the
package power plane/capacitors.

Any other options? I would also appreciate any references to published previous
work on this specific topic.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: