[SI-LIST] Re: Measuring Power supply Ripple and Noise

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Instone <dave.instone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 05:11:04 -0800

Both TEK and Agilent offer 10:1 passive probes.  I far prefer to use
these probes when possible rather than soldering up coax.  The TEK
probes come with 1:1 50 Ohm, and 10:1 500 Ohm probe tips.  The Agilent
come with 10:1 500 Ohm, and 20:1 1000 Ohm tips.  I find myself using the
TEK 1:1 probes most often. The other took in the kit are 5kHz 50Ohm DC
blocks available from Sun Moon Electronics.

Steve
David Instone wrote:
> A 450  ohm surface mount resistor tombstoned of the 'hot' point in
> series with the coax gives a 10:1 probe which only loads the PSU with
> 500 ohms and reduces the dissipation in the scopes 50 ohm load  There
> will be some frequency response effects - which can be very small.
> Other values can of course be used if you don't have 450 to hand.
> My probe of preference is always an active differential probe, providing
> it has the bandwidth and can take the voltage.
>
> Regards
> Dave Instone
> +44 (0)1235 824963
>
> OXFORD SEMICONDUCTOR LIMITED
> 25 MILTON PARK
> ABINGDON
> OXFORDSHIRE
> OX14 4SH
> Registered in England no 2733820
> Registered Address: As above
>

> DAVID CUTHBERT wrote:
>
>> Jaiso,
>> soldering a coaxial cable directly to the board works very well. The
>> common-mode noise rejection is good. Set the 'scope to 50 ohms.
>>
>> Power supply boards commonly have CM noise on them and this is a real
>> problem with single-ended X10 probes. An active differential probe can work
>> well.
>>
>>    Dave Cuthbert
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Jaison Fernandez
>> <jaisonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>>

>>> Hai all,
>>> I am trying to characterize the power integrity of of a board (that having
>>> system clock running at 400Mhz and DDR memory)
>>> What is the type of probe (Single ended or differential) is best suited for
>>> measuring power supply ripple and noise in the board.(I am using Tek GHz
>>> Oscilloscope for this purpose)
>>> Can any one give any document regarding measuring power integrity of a
>>> board.
>>>

>>> With Warm Regards,
>>>
>>> JAISON FERNANDEZ
>>>

>>> The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to
>>> this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may
>>> contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not
>>> the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this
>>> e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this
>>> message and any attachments contained in it.

>>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>>>
>>> For help:
>>>

>>> List technical documents are available at:
>>>                http://www.si-list.net
>>>
>>> List archives are viewable at:
>>>                //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
>>> or at our remote archives:
>>>                http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>>
>> For help:
>>

>> List technical documents are available at:
>>                 http://www.si-list.net
>>
>> List archives are viewable at:
>>              //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
>> or at our remote archives:
>>              http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

> [...]

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(866) 675-4630 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: