[SI-LIST] Re: Measuring Crosstalk

  • From: Robert Haller <rhaller@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aaron.helleman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:08:31 -0400

Aaron,
        The best way to compare simulations to measurements is to create a
controlled experiment to validate models. Design a test board with
various line to line spacings (or line to via spacings) of interest.
Terminate both ends of all the lines to the characteristic impedance of
the line. Provide SMA or other suitable footprints to launch and measure
signals.
Using your field solver and simulator of choice create coupled models
and simulate them under the identical conditions and edge rate you are
going to measure. Once you calibrate you coupled models you can
confidently simulate with that model, Reproduce the problem in your
system in simulation, then resimulate on updated board to validate the
layout is indeed fixed. Close the loop by performing DVT on the final
assembled board.

regards,
bob

--
Robert J. Haller (rhaller@xxxxxxxxxx)
Principal Consultant

Aaron Helleman wrote:
> What's the standard way to measure crosstalk in the lab?  We have
> experimentally determined that there is crosstalk on our PCB due
> to traces being too close together for an xDSL system on the analog
> side.   We want to characterize the amount of crosstalk between two
> 'bad' ports vs. two 'good' ports
> to determine if our respin will work properly in simulation.
>
> The frequency band of interest is between DC and 1100 KHz, which seems
> like it should not be succeptable to crosstalk very much, but we have
> experimentally determined
> that if we re-route the tracks of interest using rework wire we can make
> the crosstalk go away.
>
> Would a spectrum analyzer and a signal generator be the way to go, or
> perhaps a network analyzer to check the rejection ratio?
>
> Could we do this via simulation as well?
>
> --
> Aaron

List archives are viewable at: