[SI-LIST] Re: Measurement/Simulation Correlation

  • From: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxx
  • To: "Antonis Orphanou" <orphanou@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 16:39:55 -0700

Hi Antonis,
Thanks for your response.  I have not measured the material properties.
The Fab has provided me the Dk and loss tangent values of the material
used by them.  I also adjusted the PCB trace geometry and Dk value in the
design database as per the measured stackup and trace parameters and
impedance.  Next I tweaked the loss tangent to bring the simulation
results closer to the measurement results, but it does not help much.  I
also don't see any passivity or causality issue with the simulation or the
measurement.

Regards
Ravinder Ajmani
HGST, a Western Digital company
ravinder.ajmani@xxxxxxxx

"Antonis Orphanou" <orphanou@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
06/08/2012 04:17 PM

"Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxx" <Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxx>,
"si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: [SI-LIST] Measurement/Simulation Correlation

One important parameter in correlating insertion loss at higher
frequencies using simulation tools is material passivity and material
representation.
The frequency dependency of your material can affect your correlation.
Usually though the standard material representation in the simulation
tools is consistent with Kramers-Kronig passivity and causality
requirements but the values for er and loss tangent is the big question.
In addition I agree with you that roughness will also affect the
correlation as well at higher frequencies. If you have measured material
properties you can use those??