[SI-LIST] Re: Measurement/Simulation Correlation

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Robert Haller'" <rhaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 10:58:37 -0700

Hi Robert,

I agree - the subject of analysis of via-holes is not so simple as it seems.
Validation with the measurements is also difficult, especially for
well-designed vias or launches due to relatively small reflections,
manufacturing tolerances, unknown material properties, fuzzy models and
measurements and so on.
First of all, you have to separate vias that can be simulated in isolation
(localizable) from the vias dependent on the board geometry
(non-localizable). I wrote about it multiple time - apologize for the
repeat. Examples of localizable vias are single-ended vias with sufficient
number of electrically close stitching vias. The number of stitching vias
and distance to signal via define the upper localization frequency.
Differential vias can be simulated in isolation for differential mode only
if no stitching vias. Differential vias with stitching vias are
conditionally localizable for both modes. Analysis of non-localizable vias
depends on the board geometry as it says, not possible in pre-layout stage
and either extremely time-consuming or simply not possible in post-layout
stage with accuracy sufficient for 10G channels (20 GHz upper frequency).
Analysis of non-localizable vias in isolation produce results dependent on
multiple factors such as simulation area size and boundary conditions and
thus not usable. Let's assume you have vias that can be simulated in
isolation up to your target frequency (20 GHz).
The analysis of a localizable vias in different 3D electromagnetic tool
should produce reasonably close results (exact match is typically not
possible due to differences in algorithms). If 2 tools produced considerably
different results, try to increase the accuracy in both and see if the
results converge. If not, get a third tool to validate the results. Tools
without 3D EM via models is not a reliable option for your target frequency
range.
Considering the validation with measurements, one via with two line segments
or two vias separated with a line segment  are preferable structures to my
opinion.
In any case you have to design and validate the launches first. Pads for
micro-probes is probably the easiest to design. Another option is to use a
coaxial connector - the launches in this case are also vias and the model
may need validation. Line segments with 2 launches can be used to validate
the launch and also re-used to extract the material parameters.
Alternatively, TRL de-embedding can be used to eliminate the effect of the
launches from the measured S-parameters (though it is relatively difficult
on a cheap FR4-type laminate). As I noted before, the material parameters
identification must be pre-requisite in any validation project. It can be
done with GMS-parameters for instance - I will talk about it at the webinar
tomorrow http://www.simberian.com/Webinars.php.  Note, that some simple
boards with thick internal dielectric layers may require anisotropic
dielectric model for via analysis - XY components of Dk may be up to 10-20%
larger comparing to Z-component (due to multi-layered structure of
laminate).

Best regards,
Yuriy

Yuriy Shlepnev, Ph.D.
President, Simberian Inc.
3030 S Torrey Pines Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89146, USA
Office +1-702-876-2882
Cell +1-206-409-2368
Skype: shlepnev
www.simberian.com