[SI-LIST] Re: : May 9th Presentation: "Radiation from Edge Effects in Printe...

  • From: "Charles R. Patton" <charles.r.patton@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MikonCons@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:12:59 -0700

On May 10, 2000, Michael L. Conn wrote:

> ... Because the slot created along the edge of any surface plane (or
> fill) may be inadvertently excited to radiate, mounting provisions for
> "resonance spoiler" capacitors should be placed along the slot. These
> capacitor provisions allow "doctoring" of the structure if emission problems
> are found and avoid another board spin.

Mr. Conn,
I should have asked then, but exactly how do you do this?  I'm currently
involved in doing the "picket fence" of vias along the edge to solve a
problem.  One side of the board is almost solid, but has occasional
slots to solve those pesky, final routing problems.  This side is out
and those slots are one of the radiating sources.  Are the caps used to
bridge the slot or were you speaking about the edge of the board and the
slot formed by the power and ground planes, and having caps to connect
between the power planes and the ground planes to short standing waves
that might set up along the edge and still radiate through the via
pickets?

I'm assuming it is the latter.  Don't the pads also give you access to
measure the VSWR on that power plane area to know which ones need
installing?

Regards,
Charles R. Patton,
Owner, Synergy Co.
"Creative, Cost Effective EMI, ESD and Analog Design Solutions"

List archives are viewable at: