[SI-LIST] Re: Maximum Frequency for S-parameter Extraction of Board Power Plane

  • From: "Brad Brim" <bradb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'steve weir'" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Rajan Hansa'" <all.si.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 09:38:37 -0700

hi guys,

Yes, package PDN tends to be inductive and filter higher frequency noise
from a chip that may exist on a board PDN. To characterize on-chip core PDN
switching noise in chip-centric analysis one can often deemphasize frequency
domain behavior of the board above the range Steve mentions. A very good
thing because otherwise each chip would need to have its PDN crafted for
different end system applications.

However, IO PDN noise may be a different story. You are no longer looking at
many hundred or even thousands of VSS/VDD pins but tens or low hundreds of
IO power pins. You don't have full power planes and in some cases there may
not be a huge difference between the routing of IO power nets versus IO
signal nets. Not just on the board, but also in the package, your SI and PI
effects are much more tightly coupled. Take for example SSO. SSO would not
exist if only proximity coupling amongst signals but is dominantly a PDN
issue coupled to the signals. The noise coupled from PDN to signals in the
board has a high bandwidth path along the IO signal nets through even the
most inductive package.

Also, if you are designing the PCB instead of the chip you may well be
concerned with PDN behavior above where the package limits its effect for
on-chip core PDN noise. PDN resonances greatly increase the coupling between
SI and PI in a quite global sense across the board. They also dominate many
digital system EMC issues. Your package might imply little on-chip influence
beyond a few hundred MHz, but you've still got to pass FCC specs well above
this.

As always, be careful what you choose to ignore and for what applications
your assumptions apply.

cheers,
 -Brad

List technical documents are available at: