[SI-LIST] Re: Matching within 1 mil is just plain sillyness

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jeff Seeger" <jseeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 11:26:05 -0700

Jeff,

This is why I responded.  I, too, have seen engineers impose constraints on
layout that make life very difficult without any detectable performance
payoff.  As I'm sure you have seen, often it comes down to "I'm the
engineer and I said so" rather than showing that the constraint is founded
in good engineering.  Imagine using this approach to design a mile long
suspension bridge!  That's the reason there is a photo of the Golden Gate
Bridge on the cover of both my books.  We electrical engineers ought to be
at least as disciiplined as the structural engineers who design bridges.
Sadly, that is too often not the case.  Just visit some of the absurd rules
of thumb that keep being circulated about EMI control.  20H rule, etc.

Lee Ritchey

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: