[SI-LIST] Re: Matching within 1 mil is just plain sillyness

  • From: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jseeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 13:46:10 -0600

Jeff et al -
Anytime I go under a 100 mils, my CAD guys want an explanation.  And they
don't want theory.  I match lengths according to degrees of phase at the
frequency of operation.  The max I go is 4 to 5 degrees of phase.  At 1GBs,
one UI(bit width)is 1 nS.  For FR4, Er = 4.0, 1 deg = 33 mils.  3 deg ~ 100
mils.  The maximum frequency for 100 mils matching would be ~ 875MHz.
Anthing faster than that I would match at less than 100 mils.  I think this
whole area is fertile ground for research, since it seems to be pretty
arbitrary in the literature.
Ken