[SI-LIST] Re: Macromodeling

  • From: "C. Kumar" <kumarchi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, owner-ibis@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:53:30 -0800 (PST)

actually my thinking is somewhat at varience.

1. I believe that the most attractive language is one
which  should include powerful but minimal set of
syntax. From my limited knowledge of  ams I tend to
view it as unduly complex for the task.  I am
concerned that it will actually stand in the way of
compact modeling and slow down real advnaces. I fear
of "natural" tendency to bloat the models with all
kinds of unnecessary overheads as in the inclusion  of
logic preprocessing circuits.

2. Spice is actually a very powerful language
precisely because of its limited constructs. It
provides connectivity information in the most basic,
abstract but elegant manner. That is why it is not a
huge task to go from a circuit schematic to a spice
description

3. The following fundamental additons will make it
unbeatable.
  a. arbitrary locally defined parameters and
parameter passing - many commercial simulators already
have this

   b. generalized equation element of the form

       f(v,i, .....parametrs) = 0;

      where v and i are voltage and current vectors.
    all the spice elements including  EFGH are a
variation of this general variety.

4. as we go into an era with even more serious analog
models (read network equation with node conservation
which spice is all about), I will be loathe to take on
another curve ball, which pretends to be high level
but not really but at the same time  too complex for
network description.  Such a development can only
obscure and deflect from real advances.

=== message truncated ===

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: