[SI-LIST] Re: MGB/s pair crossing on adajent layers

  • From: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Hirshtal Itzhak" <ihirshtal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 09:26:46 -0600

Hirshtal,

Orthogonal routing introduces zero crosstalk at the intersection of the
orthogonal pair.  Perpendicular E & H fields do not interact.  Offset
broadside coupling should solve your problem, but you will need to have
software capable of that analysis.  Hand calculations aren't accurate
enough. The idea is to interleave the two trace layers, with the layer 2
traces positioned in the spaces between the layer 1 traces (or vice-versa).

With a 4 mil separation between trace layers the coupling will be high.  You
will probably need to spread the traces out 3x - 4x the trace width on each
layer.
If you don't have a solver, now would be a good time to get one.

Ken