[SI-LIST] Re: MAX. IDE CABLE Length?

  • From: John Barnes <jrbarnes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brahim@xxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 09:33:09 -0400

Brahim,
Take a look at 80-conductor ATA cables.  These have special connectors
that adapt the 40-pin Integrated Device Electronics (IDE)/AT-Attached
(ATA) headers to the 40-signals/40-returns flat cable.  The transmission
line characteristics of this cable are very tightly controlled, which
reduces the skew and crosstalk between signals, thereby increasing your
timing margin.

You will need to calculate the maximum propagation time for the cable
based on your drivers/receivers, and timing parameters which can be
found in section 4 of the ATA standard.  Then work backwards, dividing
the maximum propagation time by the velocity factor of the cable to get
the maximum length for the cable.

http://www.stanford.edu/~csapuntz/ide.html
has links to a number of documents about ATA, including:
*  Draft of ATA-1 at    http://www.t13.org/project/d0791r4c.pdf
*  Draft of ATA-2 at    http://www.t13.org/project/d0948r4c.pdf
*  Draft of ATA-6 at    ttp://www.t13.org/project/d1410r3a.pdf

I designed four controller cards using ATA-33, ATA-66, and ATA-100 at my
previous employer.  We found that if we designed the interface according
to the standard(s), it would work.

                                        John Barnes
                                        dBi Corporation
                                        http://www.dbicorporation.com/