[SI-LIST] Re: Lumped vs. Distrbuted systems.

  • From: "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:10:56 -0800

Michael,

An additional clarification.  Below I said:

If a simulator uses the   case 1) assumption for
modeling, then you will see typical RLC circuit ringing in the waveforms
for fast risetimes.  But, if the simulator uses the case 2) assumption,
and the package impedance is close to the PCB impedance, then the system
will simulate in a more "distributed" fashion, and you will see only the
appropriate ringing for that particular total system electrical length.

In addition, there is another possibility.  If the simulator uses the
case 2) modeling assumption of a distributed circuit, and there is
significant mismatch between the package impedance and the PCB
impedance, then there will also be high frequency ringing.  This is real
and can be measured in fast systems.  In that case, the distributed
transmission line model of the package has a higher qualtity factor than
lumped RLC modeling and will often show greater amplitude ringing.  As a
first approximation for a device package, this is also close to reality.
 The distributed model is "usually" more faitiful to the actual circuit
response.

Ultimately, for high speed, fast risetime, designs we need to steer away
from simplistic modeling such as either approach.  Packages should
generally be modeled with coupled multi-line models that are currently
beyond the capability of IBIS.  However, a new IBIS specification that
is in committee can be used for modeling packages more accurately when
it is introduced.  It will allow the insertion of Berkley Spice and
VHDL-AMS circuits into an IBIS simulation environment.

BIRD75.8 - Multi-Lingual IBIS Model Support

Packages are much more complex beast that we sometimes give them credit
for in our simulations.

best regards,

scott

--