[SI-LIST] Re: Lumped capacitance estimation

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sushil.gupta@xxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 07:47:57 -0400

Hi Sushil,

Assuming no losses, and perfect matching throughout from
driver to load, the driver will see a resistive load, which
equals the characteristic impedance of the line.  This means
that if the driver achieves 600ps rise/fall times across a
lumped 10pF load, you may see faster edges if you connect
a perfectly matched lossless transmission line to the driver.

If you have mismatches anywhere along the way, the input
impedance shown to the driver will be frequency dependent,
and periodically as frequency changes it may contain capacitive
or inductive reactances.  siomple SPICE simulations, or in case
of simple topologies, solving the analytical input-impedance
formula, should give the numeric answer.  Losses will help
to reduce the reflection and the input reactanes coming from
mismatch.

The above assumes a pure cascaded linear topology.  Anything beyond
that (like via stubs, active device inputs/outputs) have to be
considered as extras.

Best regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems