[SI-LIST] Re: Lumped capacitance estimation

  • From: Sushil Kumar GUPTA <sushil.gupta@xxxxxx>
  • To: naren@xxxxxxxxxx, si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 18:29:16 +0530

Hello Naren,
                         I am doing spice simulation with
 Mentor-graphics' tool "ams".   It is device level simulation. I do not
have model for PCB trace.  I just want to correlate the spice result
obtained using lumped approximation with the actual results obtained
from silicon with PCB trace.  I do have the complete die/package model.
         Even if an instruments does input capacitance measurement for
any port on PCB,  does it take into account the signal rise/fall time
for the approximation.
Naren wrote:

>Hi Sushil
>
>        Which tool you are using for simulation?
>

>Sushil Kumar GUPTA said:
>

>>Hi all,
>>         I need to calculate equivalent lumped capacitance seen by an IO
>>driver which  is connected to PCB trace (approx 3 Inches) and
>>then cable. The average rise/fall time is 600ps. I have
>>information about the PCB trace capacitance/inches. Will my
>>assumption  be correct if I take PCB-trace length (for
>>lumped-capacitance calculation) which provides 300ps delay.
>>              What would be the best way to simulate IO driver as far as
>> rise/fall
>>time accuracy is concerned assuming lumped model for Tx line.
>>
>>Thanks
>>sushil

>>or to administer your membership from a web page, go to:
>>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>>
>>For help:
>>si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the Subject field
>>
>>List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>>                http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ
>>
>>List technical documents are available at:
>>                http://www.si-list.org
>>
>>List archives are viewable at:
>>              //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
>>or at our remote archives:
>>Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:
>>              http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org