[SI-LIST] Re: Low noise electronics and Xilinx high-speed links

  • From: "williamsbar" <williamskb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:05:26 -0000

--- In si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Andreas Kaeufl" <andreas_kaeufl@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am about to start a design based on the Xilinx
> Virtex-II Pro and I plan to use the RocketIO
> transceivers for board-to-board communication through
> and FR4 backplane.
>
> On one side of the board is the Xilinx FPGA and the
> rest will be full of ADCs sampling very sensitive
> analog signals with 16-bit resolution (1 LSB = 76 micro
> volts at the input of the ADC.)
>
> On the one hand the transceivers run at 3.125Gbps and
> at this frequency radiation can become a problem. But
> on the other hand, the higher the frequency, the more
> efficiently I can filter out any high frequency on the
> analog electronics.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Is there any hope that my low-noise analog
> electronics will work untroubled by the high-speed
> links?
>
> 2) Apart from massive decoupling of the analog and
> digital parts, and shielding the serial links inside
> the backplane, is there any good hint I should follow?
>
> Regards and thanks for your help,
>
> Andreas

> si-list-request@xxxx with 'help' in the Subject field
>
> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.org
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Andreas,

The 76 uV is certainly a big problem.  The first question I must ask
is the filtering you can do, can it remove all of the power supply
noise voltages?  You say you can remove the high frequency noise which
should be inclusive up to 15 GHz if the waveform is trapezoidal.  The
rule should be that tha noise voltage in the core of the FPGA should
be no more than 3 to 7 uV at 1.6 GHz, so this begs the question of
what the waveform really is.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org