[SI-LIST] Locating "hot" grounds

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, emc-pstc <emc-pstc@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 15:55:05 -0700

I have been writing and recording again, this time on finding "hot"
grounds in a system.

Abstract: An area of a circuit board or system that has significant
noise present on ground can often drive common mode currents on cables
or other structures causing excessive emissions. A simple technique is
described to identify areas of a circuit board or system that are at
risk for emissions problems.

The link to the article is the picture of the experimental test setup
at the bottom of the home page at http://emcesd.com . Or just click on
this link:

http://emcesd.com/tt2006/tt080106.htm

There is also an audio discussion of this article on my podcast site:
http://emcesd-podcast.com where the direct link to the audio file is:

http://emcesd-podcast.com/2006/august/2006-0801.mp3

Can't download mp3 files? Download the following instead:

http://emcesd-podcast.com/2006/august/2006-0801.dcs

After download, change the extension from .dcs to .mp3 and the file
will then be able to play on most computers. Since the last HFNews
there have been two new podcasts posted.

Enjoy!

Doug
     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: