[SI-LIST] Re: Linear Regulator Problems

  • From: "Landrum, Chris" <chris_landrum@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:10:41 -0400

Steve,

No need for a picture.  I have dead-bugged a transistor on a board and
then "wired" it in.  Input is a 12 AWG wire about 0.5in long (2) 10uF
caps right at the pin.  Output is much better with the pin being
directly soldered to the PCB.  The output cap is very close to the pin.
I would immediately suspect the layout, however, if it were at fault, I
would think I would see inductive voltage spikes on the input or
something.  I don't see any misbehaving other than the slow response
time.  Also, this very same regulator has been attempted before (i.e. a
proper layout was completed) with the same, poor results.  However, this
ckt works perfectly on the vendor's eval system. I am in the process of
finishing a layout to implement the ckt, however I was hoping to have
concrete evidence that it will work before I build boards.  I realize
this is difficult without a proper layout, but it would help give me
that warm and fuzzy feeling inside.