[SI-LIST] Re: Length matching of source synchronous busses.

  • From: "Jeremy Plunkett" <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 01:54:44 -0800

Scott,
It may be that our in-house layout engineers are exceptionally talented =
(or possibly exceptionally pliable), but I have yet to have any heavy =
objects thrown at me for requiring a 25mil matching spec within a =
source-synchronous group.  And I can testify that they work under the =
same degree of time pressure as our customer's layout people (if not =
greater).

Here's my perspective: the person setting the length matching spec tries =
to find the "knee of the curve" where the additional gain in timing =
margin from tightening the matching spec is no longer worth the =
additional time required from the layout engineer.  In discussions with =
the aforementioned talented/pliable layout guys we have in-house, we =
concluded that once you are going through the process of adding =
serpentines on pretty much every signal in a bus(which is required for =
package length compensation in any case), setting the length of the =
serpentines to match the total length within 25mils is only slightly =
more time-consuming that adjusting them to match within 100mils.  In =
fact, in our experience getting them to match within 5 mil is only =
slightly harder that 25 mils (and some of our customers choose to do =
this); the reason we don't ask for it is that there isn't much of a =
point, since as you and others have noted there are plenty of other =
sources of delay variation in the board that are not reflected in the =
length extraction such as the pad connections, fiberglass weave =
directions, temperature gradients, resistor placement, etc etc. =20

If customers found this requirement to be especially irksome, I would =
expect to receive some significant pushback on the subject, but that has =
not been the case. =20

In situations where a matching requirement (or any part of our topology =
recommendations) is making it difficult to route a bus, we do receive =
feedback from our own layout engineers as well as customers and we are =
very careful to take all factors into account in making the tradeoff.

regards,
Jeremy