[SI-LIST] Re: Length matching of source synchronous busses.

  • From: "Jerry Martinson" <jmartinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:39:11 -0800

While reading this thread, I was reminded of an issue I had seen about
two years ago that goes along the same line of needing to take
everything into account when trying to length or delay match nets.  When
matching rules are as close as 0.010", many non-obvious effects are
often more significant than the residual length difference.

Layer-dependent effects can have a surprisingly large impact on flight
time depending on the layer you are on and the mode of transmission.
I'm sure many of the readers of this thread had probably thought of this
and have taken this into account when trying to 'delay' match but some
of the subtleties aren't always obvious (at least it wasn't to me at the
time) so I thought I'd mention it so someone doesn't mess up like I
almost did.

I once worked on some very high-density FR4 boards.  The fabricator came
up with some surprising numbers for impedance that didn't match the
geometric specifications for the traces.  What should have been 35 ohms
at 1GHz (found by inputting the geometries and Dk into one of those
web-based IPC impedance calculators) was turning out to be 50 ohms
according to the fabricator.  When I inquired further about the
discrepancy (I thought they were just accounting for the real traces
being thinner and more trapezoidal than the nominal rectangles as well
as Dk variability) I found out that my layers had become so thin that
the glass/epoxy ratios deviated significantly from the 45/55 mix because
of 1-ply construction.  Obviously you can only have an integer number of
glass layers.

Furthermore, since the material is inhomogeneous, what really matters is
the field strength through particular portions of the material.
Obviously, this can vary wildly from layer to layer and depending on
what other tracks nearby are doing (i.e. single ended vs differential).
This greatly affects both impedance and flight time.

Prior to realizing this (and it retrospect it is shocking that I didn't
think of it earlier), I had planned to skew a differential clock line to
account for some extra hold time needed at a receiver on the
single-ended data lines.  I had very naively assumed that the delay per
inch was the same as they were on the same layer or a layer with similar
Dk.  After analyzing it at a greater level of detail, I found that I
needed to do the exact opposite - I was ~500 pS off!

A problem I faced when doing this was that a lot of the details about
fabricating dense boards are not freely available to plug into a
field-solver so it seems that you have to rely on the fabricators'
numbers.  The particular fabricator I worked with didn't even use a
field solver but rather used empirical data derived from similar boards
as they felt that empirical data better captured and predicted the real
results compared to any model that they plugged into a field solver. =20

-Jerry