[SI-LIST] Length matching of source synchronous busses.

  • From: "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andrew.m.volk@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:29:49 -0800

Andrew,

I've replied to you in detail off the list.  If you feel it appropriate,
you can forward my comments to the list and see what others think.

Over the years, I've thought about these matters quite a bit.  However,
when a design guideline states that traces in a bus must be matched to
within +/- 10 mils, with correction for internal package trace lengths,
there are several tacit assumptions that the designer that uses your
guidelines makes:

1) That the bus will not work without this level of extreme matching.

2) That the bus will work with this level of extreme matching.

3) That all other sources of timing margin degradation have been fully
accounted for.

Without additional supporting timing and noise margin analysis, you
force the conclusion that you have no significant  margin, statistical
or otherwise, in the complete system design.  To me, this has always
seemed to be a bad way to design systems and opens them up to unforseen
failure mechanisms.

scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

Volk, Andrew M wrote:

>Scott -
>
>Gosh, you just listed a lot of good reasons for controlling what we can. =
> New multi-hundred megahertz buses don't have a lot of margin.  It is =
>much easier to spec length matching than explicit via shapes, etc.  The =
>tools seem to support this type of board analysis quite well.  The real =
>question for me is what is the cost of matching?  At what level of =
>matching is it prohibitively costly?  I would take the position that I =
>would spend extra time to match the layout, etc., to give me system =
>margin, than to deal with marginal systems.
>
>Regards,
>Andrew Volk
>Intel Corp.

List archives are viewable at: