[SI-LIST] Re: LVPECL AC COUPLING - CAPACITOR VALUE for 1.25G Ethernet

  • From: "Sreejith Varma" <varma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sa_jr@xxxxxxxxx>, <mikesa@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:05:08 +0530

Hi Salvador,

Let us look at the requirement of AC coupling.
AC coupling is used to eliminate the DC component in a signal.
Basically used when we want to change the biasing of signals
[ie to connect between 5v and 3.3v devices].

You can consider the AC coupling capacitor as a simple high pass
filter [and this is exactly what we want, we want to remove the
dc and low frequency components, while passing all high frequency
harmonics].

So you need to find the Cut off frequency of the High pass filter
[filter formed with the ac coupling capacitor and the impedance
of track]. If the cut off frequency is low enough to remove all DC
components, it is sufficient.

In general we use a cap of 0.01 uf and it works out pretty well.
Too high or too low a value of capacitor attenuates / distorts the
signal.

Other comments are welcome :-)

Best regards
sreejith