[SI-LIST] Re: LVDS vs RS422

  • From: Ron.J.Morneault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Pauric.Hennessy@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:22:44 -0400

Pauric,

The LVDS techology will have no problems running at 20Mhz(40Mb/s) over a
15meters CAT 5 cable length. Refer to the attachment
illustrating performance of Fairchild Semiconductor's LVDS products
performance, Signaling rate vs. Cable Length. As you can see
at 40Mb/s, the jitter observed is less than 5%. Other benefits you can
realize is reduced EMI with a reduce voltage swing of 350mV.
Fairchild offers quad LVDS drivers (FIN1031/FIN1047) and receivers
(FIN1032/FIN1048).
Regards....Ron

|         |           Pauric Hennessy   |
|         |           <Pauric.Hennessy@v|
|         |           igitek.com>       |
|         |           Sent by:          |
|         |           si-list-bounce@fre|
|         |           elists.org        |
|         |           08/09/2002 03:08  |
|         |           AM                |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           Pauric.Hennessy   |

  |        To:      "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                  |
  |        cc:
                                                  |
  |        Subject: [SI-LIST] LVDS vs RS422

Hi all,  have just subscribed  and would greatly appreciate your advice on
the following.
We are currently utilising a linescan camera to upload data in RS422  @
20MHz to a host PC. I haven't alot of information on the interconnect cable
except that its 32 pairs of twisted pair in a Shielded cable  running a
length of 15 metres. We are having ongoing problems with signal integrity,
manifesting itself as crosstalk, resulting in noisy images being
transferred. The camera is available with an LVDS option as well. Given the
obvious speed advantages of LVDS, and low levels of transmission, are there
any downsides to running LVDS over  such a distance.We are endeavouring to
re-layout the RS422 receiving(Host) end  and adopt hight speed layout
techniques which may be a source of a lot of our  current problems, but am
wondering if LVDS  technology will improve things further -it will
obviously
tighten up propagation delays and allow a greater timing margin on the
receiver side.
Thanks in advance
Pauric Hennessy
Design Engineer,