[SI-LIST] LVDS output impedance and teminations

  • From: "Fritz, Karl E." <fritz.karl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 06:55:40 -0600

Hi all,
I am currently working on implementing an LVDS output buffer.  I have been
pouring over the standards as well as looking at commercial drivers.  One
thing I would like to understand is the subject of output impedance.  The
spec says the output impedance of the driver should be in the range of
40-140 Ohms.  My question comes about when I cannot seem to find this spec
on data sheets.  Why is it left out?  Do commercial companies just not want
to be held to it?  Furthermore, the whole problem seems to be easily solved
by far-end terminating to +1.2.  Is this what is normally done?  Or is
far-end termination only performed in extreme situations.

thanks

Karl Fritz
Design  Engineer                                        vox: 507.538.5466
fritz.karl@xxxxxxxx                             fax: 507.284.9171
Special Purpose Processor Development Group - Mayo Foundation

List archives are viewable at: