[SI-LIST] Re: LVDS cable

  • From: "Hofmann, Mark" <Mark.Hofmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'vinayg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <vinayg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:41:57 -0400

Vinay,

You might want to consider using twisted, shielded pairs to ensure the
successful transmission of your LVDS signals.  In one application, we =
were
able to successfully carry LVDS signals 1m (3ft.) The setup that was =
used
included controlled impedance PC boards, 3M MDR style connectors and =
3644B
cable from 3M.  This should get you the performance you need.  (I'm not
saying that 3M is the best solution, it was just what was available and =
it
worked)

There are people on this list that are far more qualified than I to =
discuss
the reasons why normal ribbon cable is a bad idea.  Suffice to say that =
you
should consider a twisted pair solution that provides impedance control =
and
the bandwidth necessary to carry LVDS signals.  As the data sheet says:
"The intended application of this device and signaling technique is for
point-to-point baseband data transmission over controlled impedance =
media
of approximately 100 =A7=D9. The transmission media may be =
printed-circuit board
traces, backplanes, or cables."

Another key distinction is the term "high speed".  While your data bus
signals are only 20MHz, the LVDS drivers are running much faster.  Rise
time is what'll cause you to have problems and the LVDS drivers are =
running
1.2ns maximum, typical numbers are closer to 0.5ns!  That's "high =
speed" in
my book.

Mark Hofmann
PerkinElmer Life and Analytical Sciences
mark.hofmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx