[SI-LIST] Re: LVDS Termination

  • From: Mike Brown <bmgman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kenneth.w.siders@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:08:11 -0500

Think about driving the 2 lines in parallel, with only a high-Z path to
ground at the receiver input (the condition without the cap). Without
the capacitor, the CM reflection coefficient approaches 1.  With the
cap, it approaches zero.  With an appropriate resistor in series with
the cap at the CT of the 50 ohms, it can be made to be zero.

The obvious drawback is parts count and board real estate.

Regards

Mike

Siders, Kenneth W wrote:

>Hello Group,
>My question concerns terminating an LVDS receiver with two 50 ohm resistors
>in series with a center tap capacitor to ground across the inputs of the
>receiver to achieve better common mode noise rejection?  What type of
>improvement if any will I see.  Also, are there any draw back with this type
>of termination.
>
>Regards,
>Ken
>
>Ken Siders