[SI-LIST] Re: LVDS 2.5V Vcm(common mode) simulation measurement correlation

  • From: Dave Cuthbert <telegrapher9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: waqaschaudharyciit@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 09:00:26 -0600

I tell new SI engineers that the first thing to do when a new oscilloscope
arrives is to throw out the 10X hi-z passive probes and use good active
probes or a 500 ohm 10X probe.
On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 6:37 AM, waqas chaudhary <
waqaschaudharyciit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Writing this message to archive the solution i found for my problem with AC
Coupled LVDS 100MHz clock to FPGA clock input pins.
*Problem 1*: Low Vcm of 0.75V measured. Simulation gave 1.2V which i am not
sure if it was correct even.
*Solution*: Removed the AC caps from board and put 0 ohm resistors
instead. DC level is exactly as in simulation i.e 1.25V. Board works fine
and FPGA PLL gets locked.

*Problem 2*: Shape of input clock was measured like a sine wave. I was
putting the Ground connection of probe through Ground lead to a bit far
point on a connector on board with alligator clip.
*Solution* : Same probe 10x 500Mhz with 8pF input capacitance used but now
removed the ground lead and instead put a wire around the ground connection
on probe to a close GND via on the board. Now , wave looks exactly as in
simulation that is a pulse wave of 100MHz.

Lession i learnt: Always put ground connection of probe close to
measurement point with shortest wire as possible !

Thanks to all who gave me the idea of checking the ground connection of
probe and DC coupling the clock net.

Best regards
waqas

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Tom Dagostino <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Orin

When scope manufacturers specify a probe bandwidth they have the
condition
that the probe is attached to a specific scope and the bandwidth seen at
the
probe tip (using a special fixture with no inductance, 25 Ohm source
impedance, etc.) is what is observed on the scope. I used to work for
Tek
and that is how we did it. I'm sure the other major scope vendors use
similar criteria.

Tom Dagostino

Teraspeed Labs
9999 SW Wilshire Street