[SI-LIST] Re: LED with series bead

  • From: Eddy <eddyvk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 13:25:01 -0800 (PST)

I cannot help but to feed it some more:
OK, so the LED responds in 50ns....  I think this means it can fully turn on or
off in this amount of time. A faster signal may not fully turn it on and off
but it would still make it 'flicker' a bit, right?  The slow LED may attenuate
but does it fully extinguish the signal?  ;-)
If there is a resistor in series with the LED you could also place a capacitor
parallel to the LED to kill the data. If there is no resistor then maybe a
series diode (schottky) can be used together with the capacitor although this
might get a bit expensive....

So far poking fun at this subject. A more serious approach is to look at the
business side of it. Could you sell more equipment or for a higher price if you
could claim "secure status LED's"???  I remember laughing very hard in 1999 at
an ad for Y2K compliant crystal oscillators (I was designing crystal
oscillators at the time). Then I realized that loads of purchasing managers
would probably fall for this argument, especially in 1999.....  Paranoia can be
good business.

One more thought: I deal a lot with customers that want to see every little
feature in our designs characterized and verified to be reliable. How are you
going to provide the paranoid customers with proof that the beads are really
effective at blocking the data....?  Would you need to provide a spectrum plot
of the optical modulation while transmitting data?  ;-)

Eddy
www.phaselink.com