[SI-LIST] Re: LED with series bead

  • From: Don Nelson <dhwn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: zhuyongfa@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 06:06:18 -0800

I was once instucted to add ferrite beads to the front panel LEDs of a GigE
linecard I was developing to prevent EMI (we already tested the card and passed
EMI, so I was not pleased about this request).  The LEDs in question were
Link/Activity LEDs driven directly by the GigE PHY.

When the cards came back from the factory and I began testing them, they were a
complete disaster... Every once in a while, the PHY would go haywire and I'd
need to reconfigure it.  After a long night if pulling my hair out I realized
that any time one of these LEDs switched from ON to OFF (such as pulling a
fiber, causing the LINK LED to extinguish), the PHY got zapped; the ferrite
caused a back-EMF into the PHY when the current tried to switch instantaneously
from 15mA to 0.

I replaced the ferrites with zerohms and the product worked perfectly -- and
also passed EMC!

-d
--
Don Nelson
Ericsson

"There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who can count in binary and
those who can't."

On Wednesday, November 07, 2007, at 11:19PM, "z46147" <zhuyongfa@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>Steve,
>
>Agree with ESD susceptibility if LED applied to front panel.
>
>Thanks and regards.
>

>Zhuyongfa
>HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES CO.,LTD.
>

>Address: Huawei Industrial Base
>Bantian Longgang
>Shenzhen 518129, P.R.China
>Tel:+86-755-89653025
>Fax: +86-755-89650731
>E-mail: zhuyongfa@xxxxxxxxxx
>www.huawei.com
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI,
>which
>is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any
>use of the
>information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total
>or partial
>disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended
>recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify
>the sender by
>phone or email immediately and delete it!

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: