[SI-LIST] Re: LDO power supply vs DC-DC switching supply

  • From: Rajesh Kumar <msrajesheee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pakbazf@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 00:06:28 +0530

Hi Don,
Right, LDO's Dissipates power as heat Iout equals Iin (assuming very low
bias current) but switching regulator output current follows the efficiency
curve, efficiency = Pout/ Pin . In switching regulators VOUT/VIN ratio
decides the output current.  LDO's are preferable only when VIN is twice
VOUT, above this limit efficiency is poor and heat is high.

Thanks,
Rajesh

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: