[SI-LIST] Re: LC filters on SDRAM signal lines

  • From: "David Carney (Neenah)" <David.Carney@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:08:14 -0500

To clarify, our problem is that the GSM module is picking up broadband
noise whose source is the processor SDRAM bus on the board that the GSM
module is attached to.  The proposal is to filter the SDRAM data lines
to reduce the high frequency 869-894 MHz + content in these signals
without affecting the useful frequency content in these 75 MHz signals
and wrecking the signal integrity or timing on the SDRAM bus.  Reducing
this high frequency content should reduce the amount of noise coupled in
to the GSM receiver which is currently causing it to have a higher than
acceptable BER.

This is not necessarily a desirable solution to us since adding all
these filters is a challenge for space and redoing a lot of routing, but
it has been suggested that this is one of the most effective solutions.
I'm trying to figure out how to evaluate whether it will be effective
and also whether it will not wreck the SDRAM bus SI and timing.

It sounds like your suggestion is to look more closely at the PDN around
the SDRAM bus before considering filtering the data lines?

Thanks for the response.