[SI-LIST] Re: Isolation

  • From: "Daniel, Erik S., Ph.D." <Daniel.Erik@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: xlzhou@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:42:12 -0500

Mick-

We have done some measurements of diff pair - diff pair coupling, both
near-end and far-end, both in the even mode and odd mode (differential).  We
use a sine source and a balun to inject an odd- or even-mode signal into one
diff pair, and then use a balun and a spectrum analyzer to receive either
the odd- or even- mode signal coupled onto a victim diff pair.  This is a
frequency domain analysis -- I'm not sure if this is what you are after, but
you could probably do a time domain analysis in a similar way.  Let me know
if you'd like to know the details.

Simulating the effects is fairly straightforward in HSPICE (as someone else
pointed out), provided that the W-element accurately models the effects you
care about.  In our case, we were trying to look at very high levels of
isolation (~100 dB) where we believe simple TEM models to be inaccurate.

                                        - Erik

Erik Daniel, Ph.D.                   Voice:  (507) 538-5461
Mayo Foundation                      Fax:    (507) 284-9171
200 First Street SW                  E-mail: daniel.erik@xxxxxxxx
Rochester, MN  55905                 Web:    www.mayo.edu/sppdg/

List archives are viewable at: