[SI-LIST] Re: Is Impedance Enough for Describing the PDS?

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Zhangkun <zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx>, Abhijit Mahajan <amahajan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:06:41 -0700

Zhangkun,

As I stated, the mounted inductance of IDC's and X2Y's is less than 1/3 the
mounted inductance of ordinary 0603's using optimized two via mounts.  The
inductance of the IDC / X2Y capacitors by themselves is even less, but as
you note the attachment inductance interferes.  The reason that IDCs do
very well is that it takes four times as many via holes as a regular
capacitor.  Done correctly, there is an almost proportionate decrease in
the attachment inductance.  So, an IDC can be viewed as four 0603s, in
parallel but with only one part to mount.

The physics of the X2Y are a bit different.  In cooperation with X2Y, I
have developed optimized mounts for X2Ys that use six vias and get results
essentially identical to the IDC with optimal mounts.  This has been
verified by both simulation and measured results.  The IDC's require 33%
more vias, and a much higher component cost to do the same decoupling job
as X2Ys.

Using either X2Y or IDCs we can cut component count by 3:1 or
better.  Using X2Ys we reduce the BOM cost as well.  Both Teraspeed and I
offer services to optimize PDS design to suite needs whether it is density,
cost or some combination.  There are probably other consultants available
who do as well.

Regards,

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at: