[SI-LIST] Re: Interpreting s-params to physical voltage levels.

  • From: "Lakshmi N. Sundararajan - PTU" <lakshmi.s@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 11:37:09 -0800

Hi Istvan,
Very nicely put.
I had forgotten the frequency dependency since I was looking at a single
s-param value within a range of freq where the s11 and s21 was at a max.

Now, given the frequency dependency, is there any way short of using a
spice tool, to see what would be the max attenuation for a given input
voltage level on this channel?

I assume that if the specs for this channel were to specify S11 and S21
for a given range of frequency for valid operation, then one can make a
judgement straight out of s-param values for the channel.
But otherwise, to make any sense of a s-param for a channel, is to see
the time domain graph for a given input signal.
And this can be made only using some spice tool.

I am curious at this point to understand, what other judgements can be
made straight out of s-param?

Thanks,
-LN