[SI-LIST] Re: Internal package aggressors/PCB routing

  • From: agathon <hreidmarkailen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 00:40:24 -0800

"Obviously, step 2 stim can be derated by step 1 results, by breaking into N
sims instead of 1,..."
Actually, it could remain 1 sim.  X is derated by sum of return currents
from step 1.  This 1 sim is done for each x,y1...yn data pattern where each
driver is 1 UI, so pattern is n+1 bits.  Each driver uses a 1 or 0 single
pulse.

On 1/23/07, agathon <hreidmarkailen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry for the delay in replying.
>
> "Afterall, if you truly have done what you said and measured against what
> you simulate, you would have picked it up very quickly."
> It's bad to just assume.  What makes you think I'm even interested in SSN
> deep quicksand?  Siwwy wabbit.
>
> "In step 2, your return coupling sum will be excessive without negative
> feedback."
> In step 2 I measure V xtalk on N aggressors; what is "return" here?
> Actually, you did find on of the duly placed defects.  Clever fellow.
>
> "So you now have to re-sum your coupling again in 2), do 3) again, so on
> and so forth."
> I don't see how this fixes the problem.
>
> Lesson 3 commences to solve the defect ...
>
> Obviously, step 2 stim can be derated by step 1 results, by breaking into
> N sims instead of 1, and instead of using it in step 3 as I originally have
> it.  Each of the N is derated by each corresp. sim in step 1.
> Also, it's obvious the stim in 1 and measurements in 2 must be consistent
> regarding "0" or "1".
> Further, this assumes linearity in the x driver slew rate effect.  This is
> easily true for the weak couplers.  Separate linear function deratings on
> x's edge rate can be done for sets of aggressors, then combined where
> necessary.
>
> Shame on you.  Now you really must pay.  I insist.  :-)
> PS:  There is one last defect, though of minimal impact I believe.  Can
> you find it?  Hint:  step 1 & accuracy of return current.  Or, a chicken &
> egg dilemma.  Some initial looping of derating each aggressor AND x may be
> needed to converge on V waveforms for both.
> Higher order effects (multiple aggressors) at this stage are ignored.
>
> "BTW, nothing you mentioned below is new or innovative."
> I am so glad to be so informed.  I was a little worried, if you look back
> to my original email.  Yes, grasshopper, nothing is new under the Sun.  Such
> has been written before.
>
> "As we dig deeper and deeper, it is clear to me you just talked about your
> ideas and have never actually done it yourself."
> We?  You and what army?  Keep digging.  Yet, this may be true.  But
> irrelevant.  I believe my solution, by thought process alone, is potentially
> worth more than the efforts of 50 wanderers digging in the desert.  Maybe
> not.  I fully accept the possible existence of any number of unrealized
> obstacles to making my solution a cost saver in the end.   I give you leave
> to try my method.
> Again, if it works I insist you pay up.  ;->>
>
> As we can see (there's that "we" again), I've dug a little deeper in that
> hole and found that you haven't used the correct shovel.
> Further, here's a tidbit you may have overlooked, hopefully what ibis
> authors you mentioned are working on - already perhaps doable with
> Verilog-AMS since IBIS is inherently inextensible, requiring more hacks &
> special sections than some CAD pgms have switches & menus:
> [...]

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: