[SI-LIST] Re: Insertion Loss of Passive Components

  • From: istvan novak <Istvan.Novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hreidmarkailen@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:37:38 -0500

Agathon,

It is true that for electrically short structures there is no need for
distributed model. However,
the 170-mil length difference is long enough that when measured up to 20
or 40GHz, the
time-of-flight difference in the two legs shows up as a cancellation (or
resonance). With
regular FR4, the 'resonance' could be around 15GHz. There was a paper on
this effect
at DesignCon 2006: Stephen B. Smith, “Theory and Measurement of Unbalanced
Differential-Mode Transmission Lines”, and more papers will show up at
DesignCon 2007.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems