[SI-LIST] Re: Injecting noise into a plane

  • From: "WEBB,JEREMY (A-Sonoma,ex1)" <jeremy_webb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ahmed.alokby@xxxxxxxxx'" <ahmed.alokby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:45:40 -0600

Ahmed,

I have actually done this. All you have to do is design a passive bias tee
to the desired frequency that you want to introduce
into your 3.3V Power Plane, and that should be sufficient for the
experiment.

Here is an example:

                     DC

                        C  L
                 C      |
        AC ----||---------- AC + DC

F = 10kHz
L = 1000uH
C = 4.7uF

DC = +3.3V from Power Supply.
AC = 10kHz or whatever frequency you want to introduce into your system.
AC+DC = the voltage that is used to supply your board with +3.3V.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Webb

Have you thought of injecting noise into the summing node of the feedback
loop in the power supply.  Tie a resistor to the node and drive the signal
of interest into the resistor.  You will have to inspect the schematic of
the supply to compute the value of R.  It is likely that the supply itself
has very slow frequency response so you will not get fast variation on the
output voltage but you can get the magnitude you need.

Tom Dagostino
Modeling Manager
Mentor Graphics Corp.
SAE