[SI-LIST] Re: Information regarding Stackup Design.

  • From: <Aubrey_Sparkman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <aleks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:25:33 -0500

Aleks,

I'm not sure what you are asking.  Steve is correct that it is easier to
make very narrow traces in thinner copper.

You are correct that, ***if properly accounted for***, Impedance control
is about the same for 1oz and half oz copper.   For well spaced single
ended traces on inner layers, thickness (half vs 1 oz) and side wall
slope are 2nd order effects.  The thickness and side wall slope has the
most impact on thicker tightly coupled differential impedances.

Aubrey Sparkman
Enterprise Engineering Signal Integrity Team
Dell, Inc.
Aubrey_Sparkman@xxxxxxxx
(512) 723-3592
"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place." -- George Bernard Shaw