[SI-LIST] Re: Inductance variation.

  • From: "Steve Rogers" <SRogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rfengg@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:35:37 -0000

Heres my input...

Putting metal things near a coil is generally not a good idea. The time =
varying fields from the coil induce currents in the metal which will =
flow to oppose the current in the coil (good old lenz law). The effect =
of this (for conventional round solenoids) is to reduce the inductance =
of the coil. However, this is not the whole story. You must also =
consider the electric field effects. In practice you will also increase =
the capacitance to ground from the coils turns. If you think of this in =
very simple terms you have a coil with lots of capacitors in parallel =
with it to ground. At some frequency you will see a parallel resonance =
of the coil inductance and this stray capacitance. The reactance =
increase at high frequency you are seeing could be the coil resonance =
with the stray capacitance.=20

Theres also the fact that in reality the humble coil actually exhibits =
transmission line behaviour. You can see this from the multiple =
resonances you get from it...... I will let you investigate this =
yourself