[SI-LIST] Re: Impedance without a reference plane

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bharathrajupcb@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 10:14:04 -0400

Bharath,

If the 25-mil wide trace carries important signal so that you need to
know its impedance, probably you dont want to leave it without a
well-designed reference path.  Not having a reference plane available,
you can still provide a good reference path with a second trace, just
like a two-wire transmission line.

If the signal is not that important, I would not spend time figuring out
its impedance.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems

Bharathkumar Raju wrote:

>Hi,
>            Have any one come across the situation where you need to simulate,
> calculate, measure, the characetristic impedance without a reference plane.
>            I have a design where I need to decide upon the impedance of an
> isoalted trace (no other traces in the neighbourhood) of about 25 mil width
> withour any reference plane underneath.
>             You inputs, sugestions will be of great value.
>  Bharath

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org