[SI-LIST] Re: Impedance mismatch due to Cu pours

  • From: Alan Hilton-Nickel <ahilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Shankar.Raj@xxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 06:59:45 -0800

BTW, on looking at your message again I see your reason to try outer
ground layers was to increase routability. I still think you lose far
more than you would gain. If you run out of routing resources, you need
to look seriously at adding more layers.

Another (probably better) way to do your 8-layer stackup:

        1. Top (signal 1)
        2. GND 1
        3. Signal 2
        4. Split Power 1
        5. GND 2
        6. Signal 3
        7. GND 3
        8. Bottom (signal 4)

Going to ten layers:

        1. Top (signal 1)
        2. GND 1
        3. Signal 2
        4. Signal 3
        5. Split Power 1
        6. GND 2
        7. Signal 4
        8. Signal 5
        7. GND 3
        8. Bottom (signal 6)

Alan Hilton-Nickel
Transmeta Corp
Santa Clara, CA

Alan Hilton-Nickel wrote:

> Hi Shankar,
>
> I have been dubious of the value of power or ground planes on outer
> layers since trying to apply that approach on my last job. The problem
> is this: the outer layers are also used to place components, so the pads
> and breakout traces interfere with the continuity of the power/gnd
> plane. EMI is better reduced through a good return path than trying to
> use ground (or power) as a shield, and the voids in the plane around the
> components would only increase the signal and return path inductances,
> degrading your signal integrity.
>
> If you are going to eight layers anyway, I suggest the following
> stackup:
>
> 1. Top (signal 1)
> 2. GND 1
> 3. Split Power 1
> 4. Signal 2
> 5. Signal 3
> 6. Split Power 2
> 7. GND 2
> 8. Bottom (signal 4)
>
> When you have the board fabricated, ask your vendor to make the distance
> between the Power and Ground pairs as small as possible - 3-4 mils
> should be possible, but 5 or 6 mils is probably OK (depending on your
> edge rates). The resulting interplane capacitance will provide a return
> path for signals routed across the split power. You'll probably want to
> add extra power and ground vias in strategic places on the board to
> ensure there are adequate return paths for all high-speed signals.
>
> BTW the interplane capacitance will also reduce (not eliminate) the need
> for decoupling capacitors.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Alan Hilton-Nickel
> Transmeta Corp
> Santa Clara, CA
>
> Shankar.Raj@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am designing an 8 layer stackup. Due to routing requirements, atleast 4
> > signal
> > layers are needed.
> > Signal layers in top and bottom reduces available routing space,
> > considering the
> > high density routing.
> > So the following stackup was considered,
> >
> > P(split) - S - GND - S - S - GND - S - P(split)
> >
> > The Signal layers S2 and and S7 are closer to GND planes and hence
> > reference the
> > same (i.e. wrt return currents).
> > But I am curious to know the effect of the Split planes(1 & 8).
> > Does copper pours on top and bottom of board cause impedance mismatch
> > whenever
> > signals in adjacent layer cross its border?
> > Also are return currents for S2 and S7 degraded in this stackup?
> >
> > It will be helpful if someone can pass comments on the following stackup
> > too!
> >
> > GND - S - P(split) - S - S - P(split) - S - GND
> >
> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Shankar V
> > FORCE Computers
> > Bangalore

> [...]