[SI-LIST] Re: Impedance measurement

  • From: "Orin Laney" <olaney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dharanidhar.signalintegrity@xxxxxxxxx>, <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 13:38:54 -0700

The common approach is to include a test coupon in the board design and let
the PWB manufacturer test it with proper equipment. Traces of other widths
can be scaled from that measurement. For traces only 1/2" long, unless your
risetimes are really that fast (<100 ps), worrying about the precise
impedance is not very meaningful. If they are that fast, you can't get a
useful measurement using other than proper equipment. Sure, a TDR is "less
accurate" but if you need better than a few percent, that's no longer an SI
problem and you are up against manufacturing tolerances anyway. The bottom
line is that if you can't get the proper equipment you don't need our advice
-- you need a new job with better support.

From: "Tom Dagostino" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rdawson16@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <jeff.loyer.si@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
<dharanidhar.signalintegrity@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date: 08/12/2015 07:21 PM
Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

_____

Randy

I think I have to disagree with you. Full disclosure, I support the
IConnect TDR tool that Tektronix sells.

With proper calibration you can get very good accuracy and resolution.
When
I use/demo/lecture about TDR I always use a 50 Ohm Load from a VNA Cal
Kit.
This sets the reference impedance (voltage) that is the basis of a TDR
measurement. This will also calibrate out any aberrations in the step
output of the TDR pulse or sampling head. And with the reference step
waveform recorded also removes most of the measurement system's step
height and sampling head gain errors.

Remember the equation p = Vreflected/Vincident = (Z - Zo)/(Z + Zo).
The reflected voltage is a fraction of the incident voltage so the
amplitude of the incident voltage does not matter. It is easy to see
the difference in
50 Ohm terminations and you can cross check these measurements with an
Ohm meter. It is easy to see 0.1 Ohm differences accurately.

So as long as the difference in impedance of the unknown is large
enough to cause a measureable voltage you can make very accurate
measurements. And for the best measurements it is best to use a
calibration standard close to the unknown impedance. I would not use
a 50 Ohm standard if I'm trying to measure a 28 Ohm trace for example.
I'd likely use a 25 Ohm standard.

Tools like IConnect also employ a peeling algorithm that compensates
for the reduction in step amplitude after a reflection. Part of the
incident waveform is reflected back to the source at a discontinuity
thus the amplitude of the step after the discontinuity is lower.

If you don't have a lot of losses (poor launches, discontinuities,
lossy
material) in your DUT you can make good measurements with just the TDR
scope in an Ohm display mode.

A TDR measurement can be made with a matched load, an arbitrary load
or an open at the end of the trace. The reflected signal prior to the
"termination" looks the same prior to seeing the effects of the
termination.
Monitoring the voltage at the end of the trace will give you the
output voltage of the DUT, TDT signal, and this can be used to
calculate the insertion loss of the DUT. The TDT signal is not needed
for a calculation of impedance.

You are correct, the measurement you make on one trace is not
necessarily the measurement you will have on another trace, board
material properties, manufacturing tolerances, etc. will give
different answers on different boards. And within a single trace you will
see variation in impedance.
These are caused by etching, height and fiber weave effects among others.
If we are trying to measure Zo of a trace it cannot be coupled to any
other trace or we will be seeing the effect of additional metal
causing a change of impedance.

Discontinuities in the launch, the transition from coax to board, can
cause issues. It is best to minimize these. Well-designed launches
should be used in all high quality measurements. Discontinuities in
launches act like low pass filters and limit the bandwidth of the
signal propagating down the trace. They destroy the return loss of a
system and reduce the bandwidth of the output of the DUT, the TDT
measurement. The higher the bandwidth of the signal getting into the
DUT the better time resolution of the TDR measurement.

Speaking of time resolution there is a trade-off between a TDR
measurement and a VNA in TDR mode. With a TDR measurement the
location of a fault or discontinuity is limited by the sampling spacing of
the scope's timebase.
If you are looking to isolate a fault in a BGA package you can easily
see the difference in time between an open before a via or one after a
via.
With a VNA your time resolution is based on the maximum frequency of
the measurement. With my 20 GHz VNA I see measurement samples every
50 psec if I measure out to 20 GHz.

So I think the original question was, "I need to measure a trace's
impedance and I don't have the standard equipment (TDR or VNA) to make
a measurement.
How can I do this with alternative measurement equipment?" I think
Jeff's answer and the one I posted this morning (which I'm not sure
made it to the
list) say that if you have a scope and a pulse source you have a poor
man's TDR system.

Regards,

Tom Dagostino

Teraspeed Labs