[SI-LIST] Re: Impedance measurement

  • From: "Wenzel Robert-r37657" <Robert.Wenzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 13:37:08 -0700

Bharath,
Setting aside the instrumentation and other potentially severe
complications aspects, I have some basic theoretical "lumped, low
frequency" extraction formulas for a 2-wire line to get you started,
work well for uniform line or gives an "average".  Things can be much
more matrix complex for your 3-wire line.

L=3Dimag(Zsc)/w
R=3Dreal(Zsc)
G=3Dreal(1/Zoc)
C=3Dimag(1/Zoc)/w
zosimp=3Dsqrt(L/C)
zocmplx=3Dsqrt((R+jwL)/(G+jwC))

where w is omega.  The calculator sqrt function needs to handle complex
#'s for zocmplx and choose correct sign.  Imag(zocmplx) is most often
negative I believe.

Best Regards,
Rob